Flying conditions : morning site. Thermals (early morning : easterly) or with a prevailing N.E. (“bise”) or light Foehn wind.
Dangers / Difficulties:
• The take off has a track and obstacles in front - easily visible if you walk to the front of take off before launch.
• In light Foehn conditions it may be possible to launch if the wind at take off is gentle. (the Foehn wind usually descends the valley at lower levels) but beware of turbulence ahead of the launch area.
• The landing field is in the lee once the valley wind has become established (usually around 11h) making conditions variable & turbulent– to be avoided once the valley wind strengthens later in the day. The landing field is not visible from launch.
• Winter – beware of launching with skiers passing on the piste in front of take off. Forbidden to take off on the piste,
Pilot Ability : Beginner to XC
Landing field: les Chavants. Pass by the Prarion lift ticket desks, turn right at the roundabout, follow the metalled road to the end. Do not enter the private, gravel road. Please consult the notice board at the lift station for details.
Specific Rules: use of the landing field is highly sensitive & could easily be forbidden. Your attention & positive attitude will help further negotiations and the full registration of this site. Please respect the indicated landing & packing areas. Do not drive upon or fold your glider on the small track to the South of the landing field. A large free car park is set next to the lift station.
Variation: if the wind turns W or S.W.: see details for La Charme, Plancert or Grand Prarion all within 20 mins walk.
Winter: Be very careful not to launch from the regular site if there are skiers passing in front of the take off. It is also possible to launch to the left of the plateau as you exit the gondola. This is better suited for ski launching than the regular take off.
Launch Site Prarion NorthEast
• GPS: N 45° 53’46” E 006° 44’62”
• Direction: N.E..
• Altitude: 1 853 m
• Vertical drop: 843 m
• Access: Les Houches Prarion gondola. (reduced rates available in the summer for pilots).
• The launch area is ax 100 m across from the lift.
• Facilities: windsocks. Possibility to enquire wind strength & direction at lift station.
• FFVL site registration in progress.
• Remote weather station " Pioupiou" situtated 200m behind Prarion launch : www.pioupiou.fr/350